Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Are You Sitting Comfortably ?

Of all the chairs in my Arthouse I think these Italian cardboard chairs are the most commented upon and my guests get anxious when I suggest they try sitting on them. There is a common haunted look that comes to their faces and then a relieved look when the chair does not crumple immediately. I bought these pieces in a show at Stazione Leopoldi in Florence while I was attending Pitti Filati Yarn Show. I struggled to put the first one together. It took me two hours of sweating and swearing over my lack of the Italian language to follow the instructions. You might think the clear photos would be very helpful but for a poor speaker of Italian, it was a sweaty nightmare.

The next two identical chairs took me about ten minutes each !!
You can see they can be painted and I have also thought to use some exotic wallpaper pasted onto the plain ones - or a montage of scraps and pieces of paper tear sheets.
Maybe one could use the school art of 'a little treasure's' talented oeuvres which might otherwise decorate the fridge ! By the way, the other little chair here was bought by my Dad at auction. It is a Scottish spinning chair.

I like this sofa designed by Le Corbusier. I was lucky to find this bargain in New York after the original clients for it had rejected it. They did not like the colour. I like the Union Jack and the silver cushions surrounding the white wide cushion with the Wallace clan crest.

The white group of folding chairs are from Ikea where it is not difficult to find well designed but simple furniture.
I have hung these on hooks as the Shakers from Philadelphia would have done. It gives a lot more useable floor space and makes a nice decorative pattern on the kitchen wall.
I have another similar couple of folding printed chairs from USA made during the fifties. Come to Wallace's Arthouse Scotland to see them........ Well I can't just show all my treasures on my blog. I need some surprises for the visits of my lovely guests !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment